Home > News Shots > Tamil Nadu

By Behindwoods News Bureau | Nov 30, 2018 11:48 AM
IAS officer rescues 50 girls who were sexually abused in shelter

Stories of sexual abuse are not uncommon in India. Earlier this year, a shocking tale emerged of how girls were subjected to extreme conditions in Bihar shelter homes. A similar case is being reported from Tamil Nadu.

Sexually abused and their complaints hushed, 50 girls were kept in a pitiable condition in a missionary home in Tamil Nadu. Thanks to the efforts of an IAS officer, they have finally been rescued

KS Kandasamy, the district collector of Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu, was informed that a missionary home in his jurisdiction, was violating government regulations. Soon after, he set off for the home to check its functioning, and what he saw there was nothing less than a shock for him. 

“The home lacked basic amenities, the girls had no privacy and were supervised by a male security guard,” the IAS officer told Times of India.

One of the first things that irked the officer was that the washrooms had no doors. The girls were also made to change in the hall as opposed to in bathrooms or private rooms. Both these factors rang alarm bells in Kandasamy’s head, and he took immediate, strict action.

"Luban Kumar (Director of the home) had purposely removed the doors of all the bathroom stalls where the girls bathed,” he told The News Minute, adding that “His room was attached to this bathroom and he would open a window to see the girls showering. In addition to this, he had set up a CCTV camera in the hall where they changed and would watch from his room.”

Upon hearing the tales of horror, Kandasamy shifted all the girls to a government home. When they were confident about being in a safe place, they opened up the IAS officer. Amongst other things, Luban Kumar would also ask the girls to come to his room at night and made them give him “a massage.”

The officer has also lodged a complaint against Luban Kumar, his wife and brother, at a police station in Tiruvannamalai. Subsequently, the missionary home was also sealed.