PHOTOS & STILLS - GALLERY
JIGARTHANDA SONGS REVIEW
Review by : Behindwoods Review Board
Album Release Date : Mar 03,2014
Cast: Lakshmi Menon, Siddharth
Direction: Karthik Subbaraj
Screenplay: Karthik Subbaraj
Story: Karthik Subbaraj
Background score: Santhosh Narayanan
Jigarthanda is an upcoming drama featuring Siddharth and Lakshmi Menon under the direction of Karthik Subbaraj. The film is a Santhosh Narayanan musical.
The vocal sample of Antony Dassan which greets you may be the first access point for the listener but it’s true signature highlight is hidden behind the vocal veils in the form of a terrific digital dressing that shows up during the vocal hook. A recall of the synth-pop from Soodhu Kavvum but more intricate and expansive this time around.
Funky bass work from Naveen over a drum track that fits the groove loosely, adding to the unsettling motive of the track where even the piano notes wear a violent personality. Arun Raja’s Tamil verses are delivered straight from the gut, while Mose is fluent with his rhymes. Though not exactly catered for staple radio demands, it certainly is creatively conceptualized and executed with a level of craftsmanship.
Again the booming low end of the bass is vivid and grabs your attention along with the rhythm section and the crazy horns. The way Antony Dassan’s buoyant vocals are arranged over this pot boiler of a tune gives the kuthu genre a fresh new twist.
After being subjected to a relentless creative assault by Santhosh Narayanan in the opening three tracks the listener is treated to a gorgeously arranged melody with cascading strings that fill your earspace. The composer is surely growing from strength to strength scoring such symphonic sections.
A seriously funky jam with a cool snaky vocal melody, offering a great sing-along moment, that sounds borrowed from the classic era of Tamil film music but is now married to the swagger of celtic blues. Santhosh as a singer is admirably reckless within limits, and a special mention to the composer for throwing in a rare bass solo on this one.
The build up is obvious early on with the haunting piano lines setting the mood. The simple scratchy beats feature only to offer the spawning electronic effects its rightful prominence. Pradeep Kumar ad-libs his way on key to count for the vocals. Mildly intriguing.
A sludgy slap bass line opens up to welcome some beautiful but ominous guitar work, combining with intermittent bursts of percussions to create an unnerving track which really calls out strong to be taken seriously.
A supremely enjoyable Morricone styled western spaghetti tune featuring some delightful whistling and neat acoustic string arrangement while the guitar solo is flashy at best.
With its warm sound featuring harmonies and restrained musical showmanship, the jazz here is more Steely Dan than Coltrane or Davis. Opting to go for a more accessible jam like this over a freestyle display may well serve as a good introduction for those who might be interested in this genre. But it’s hard to fathom this sort of composition paired with the track title ‘Ottam’ !
FACEBOOK COMMENTS ON JIGARTHANDA SONGS REVIEW
OTHER SONGS REVIEWS
- Aaha Kalyanam Songs Review
- Idhu Kathirvelan Kadhal Songs Review
- Yennamo Yedho Songs Review
- Pulivaal Songs Review
- Kangaroo Songs Review
- Thirumanam Ennum Nikkah Songs Review
- Jilla Songs Review
- Veeram Songs Review
- Yennamo Nadakudhu Songs Review
- Nimirndhu Nil Songs Review
- Inga Enna Solludhu Songs Review
- Madha Yaanai Koottam Songs Review
- Pannaiyarum Padminiyum Songs Review
- Thagaraaru Songs Review
- Malini 22 Palayamkottai Songs Review
- Ivan Vera Mathiri Songs Review
- Vizha Songs Review
- Endrendrum Punnagai Songs Review
- Rummy Songs Review
- Jannal Oram Songs Review
JIGARTHANDA RELATED NEWS
- Jigarthanda Sneak Peek - Highly Promising Indeed
- The Next Set Of Releases From The Jigarthanda Team
- Jigarthanda From Today
- Three Lakhs Plus In Three Days For Jigarthanda
- Jigarthanda – Mean And Sleek
- Time For Karthik Subbaraj And His Jigarthanda
- What's The Status Of Jigarthanda?
- The Lok Sabha Elections Haven't Impacted Vishal's Release
- Vishal Is On Track For His Big Release
- Siddharth Follows Aamir Khan's Footsteps
- The 'Music' In The Gangster Story
- Naan Sigappu Manithan Audio Launch Fixed...
- An Exciting Week For Kaaviya Thalaivan!
- A New Musical Experience From Tomorrow!
- “My Films Are Not For Everyone”
JIGARTHANDA RELATED LINKS
- Meet Jigarthanda - Photos
- Jigarthanda Trailer - Videos
- Jigarthanda Audio Launch - Videos
- Jigarthanda Audio Launch - Photos
- Jigarthanda Teaser - Videos
- Jigarthanda I II III IV
- Jigarthanda Movie Launch - Photos
- "Lakshmi Menon Is Studying The Same Class For The Past One And Half Years And Karthik Subbaraj Is A Worst Storyteller"
- “Karthik Subbaraj Is The Bharathiraja Of The Current Generation And Siddharth Is A ‘Kutti’ Kamal Haasan”
- Meet Kaaviya Thalaivan - Photos
- Kaaviya Thalaivan - Vasantha Balan's 'labour Of Love'
- Directors, Producers And Artists Thank The Honourable CM - Photos
- Cuckoo Songs Review
- Suriya Bows Down To The Cuckoo Team On Stage At The Music Launch
- Think Music Santhosh Kumar - Photos