PHOTOS & STILLS - GALLERY
TAMIL SONGS REVIEW
BIRIYANI SONGS REVIEW
Review by : Behindwoods Review Board
Album Release Date : Aug 21,2013
Cast: Hansika, Karthi, Mandy Takhar, Premji Amaran, Ramki
Direction: Venkat Prabhu
Screenplay: Venkat Prabhu
Story: Venkat Prabhu
Background score: Yuvan Shankar Raja
Cinematography: Sakthi Saravanan
Editing: N. B. Srikanth, Praveen K. L
Stunt choreography: Silva
Dance choreography: Raju Sundaram
Singers: Bhavatharini, D. Imman, Devan Ekambaram, G. V. Prakash Kumar, Gaana Bala, Karthi, Premgi Amaren, Priya Himesh, PSYCHO.unit, Rahul Nambiar, Ramya NSK, S. Thaman, Tanvi Shah, Vijay Antony, Vilasini
Lyrics : Gana Bala, Gangai Amaren, Karky, PSYCHO.unit, Tanvi Shah, Vaali, Yuvanshankar Raja
The band of brothers team up for a milestone film in Yuvan Shankar Raja’s career. The 100th film of the composer, Biriyani, is directed by Venkat Prabhu under the banner of Studio Green. The film stars Karthi, Hansika and Premgi. The album contains 6 original tracks and a couple of remixes.
The first signs of how Yuvan would approach his 100th album is made clear right from the intro, the composer will have nothing but have fun behind his console and let his imagination run wild in terms of idea and collaborations. He pulls up a hypnotic flute loop and marries it with a busy beat and the presentation doesn’t simply spell out flashy musicianship it defines Yuvan’s character and creativity. The vocal melody is one where rap meets R&B to the point that neither style is distinguishable. The three ladies have a good time busting out those rhymes. Unique and infectious.
Yuvan100’s big radio hit arrives through this composition. Yuvan tops the song up with limitless friendly melodic and instrumental hooks that instantly stick like glue. The song thrives on its repetitive Nah Nas but Yuvan restlessly presents in different textures at various moments in the song. Devan Ekambaram’s vocals are perfectly suited for this pop anthem of the year. Yuvan’s forward thinking production is evident with the video game music effects and the way he constructs the beats.
An elegant piano composition completely changes personality into a big band sound. The lyrics suggest the hero’s attempt at wooing but the heroine doesn’t reciprocate favorably which leads to fiery but fun verbal exchanges. The orchestration is backed by very sure musicianship and the swing styled interlude in particular offers room for the lead pair to jive.
You say suggestive. We say fun. What saves this ‘mood’ song from being the least bit uncomfortable is the fact that it’s featured in a Venkat Prabhu film and the singers are Karthi and Premgi. It’s a pure case of boys being boys and the song captures that male irreverence perfectly. The use of the harmonium and tabla brings out the desired amount of sleaze and the sliding bassline is something that maestro himself has employed in similar tracks but Yuvan keeps his tune fresh and exciting with smart and creative vocal arrangement. Karthi deservingly hogs the limelight with a delightful performance but Premgi is the track’s unsung hero with ad-libs in his trademark style. Priya Himesh isn’t to be left far behind as she holds this track together with her excellent vocal histrionics.
Yuvan throws everything at this one, and we mean literally everything! *No spoilers here*. Sounds of Shehnai, Tumbi, Hip Hop grooves and kuthu are few that we could count. Psycho Unit arrive in full force and energize the tune. Rubba Bend especially is unforgiving in her aggressive spits. Just as you recover from Pshycho Unit’s assault, out of nowhere Yuvan amps up the track by introducing Gana Bala over a bhangra beat. Bala’s vocals are featured differently with the muffled effect and delays and his lyrical contributions are typically local and enjoyable. The lyric “Oru plate Biriyani nala bejaru” is reiterated in a variety of ways and must offer a peek into the film’s plotline. This situational song is pure adrenaline pumping stuff. Watch out for the surprise loop at the end.
The opening fuzzy and detuned strings grow into a dynamic composition that is filled with uplifting words and upbeat percussions. The lyric “nee un appankku pillai” seems like a compliment directed straight at Yuvan. This is the only real serious track on the album and its position in the second half of the album is clever placement. There is no room for half baked tunes on this album and Yuvan reaffirms that with this song that’s the least ambitious but high on substance. The high range vocals are quintessential Yuvan, and the four composers harmonize well and their coalition is a successful effort.
The much celebrated Yuvan remix is a classic throwback to the 90s G-Funk era and Yuvan’s love for the genre is pronounced in the way he toys with the relaxed beat as he masterfully shifts to a more ambient setting and dishes out a narcotic groove. The main instrumental hook is used sparingly on this cut but used with prime purpose. The track is spectacularly high on vibe!
With such a good hook on their hands the team decides to milk the most out of it. The sped up tempo is clearly aimed at the clubs. The “I’m at Marina beach” breakdown offers a nice change up as this track goes beyond being just any other run of the mill remix track simply because this is o**a Premgi style and the composer in him makes this tune his own and makes it bombastic.
FACEBOOK COMMENTS ON BIRIYANI SONGS REVIEW
OTHER SONGS REVIEWS
- Nedunchalai Songs Review
- Vu Songs Review
- Pattathu Yaanai Songs Review
- Thalaivaa Songs Review
- Ya Ya Songs Review
- Desingu Raja Songs Review
- Ninaithathu Yaaro Songs Review
- Virattu Songs Review
- Raanjhanaa Songs Review
- Nalanum Nandhiniyum Songs Review
- Sutta Kathai Songs Review
- Thillu Mullu Songs Review
- Singam 2 Songs Review
- Kutti Puli Songs Review
- Maryan Songs Review
- Neram Songs Review
- Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru Songs Review
- Moodar Koodam Songs Review
- Thanga Meengal Songs Review
- Puthiya Thiruppangal Songs Review
BIRIYANI RELATED NEWS
- Yuvan Shankar Raja Rules India With Biriyani
- An Earlier Release For Biriyani ... Venkat Prabhu Is Miffed
- Breaking - The Biriyani Feast Is Delayed Further
- ''Run For Your Life'', Biriyani Is Coming ...
- Karthi Adds His Original Colour To Biriyani
- Just In: Yuvan's Biriyani Score To Be Released On ...
- ''Exclusive: We Have The Biriyani Release Date''
- Venkat Prabhu Adds The Final Touch To His Biriyani
- Karthi Gobbles Up Vijay's Biriyani
- Biriyani And All In All Azhagu Raja's Status, As On May 25
- Karthi Celebrates With The Release Of Biriyani
- Biriyani Special On Karthi's Birthday?
- Hansika’s Character In Biriyani …
- Venkat Prabhu's Biriyani Leaves Hyderabad
- Venkat Prabhu's European Sojourn For Biriyani
BIRIYANI RELATED LINKS
- Biriyani Team At CBCID Office - Photos
- Biriyani I II
- Biriyani | Top Ten News - Slideshow
- Biriyani | Top 30 Upcoming Films - Slideshow
- Biriyani Teaser - Videos
- I Am Writing In Venkat Prabhu's Biriyani - Niranjan Bharathi - Videos
- 2. Karthi - Hansika (Biriyani) | Top 10 Upcoming Jodis - Slideshow
- Biriyani Shooting Spot I II III IV V
- Chennai Turns Pink @ WCC - Videos
- Chennai Turns Pink @ Valliammal College - Videos
- Karthi Warns His Fans - Videos
- Karthi - Paruthiveeran, Saguni | Superstars Show The Power Of The Veshti - Slideshow
- Aadhalal Kadhal Seiveer Movie Preview
- Chennai Turns Pink - Videos
- Chennai Turns Pink I II