Tamil Movies | Trailers | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

AR Rahman on his life and works!!
If you are one of A R Rahman's music buffs, and if you are asking what the guy is doing now, read on:

Contrary to opinions that Rahman spends a major part of his life working abroad, Rahman is very much in India, working for Tamil and Bollywood flicks.
A.R.Rahman
What are the movies he is working for now?

Rahman is working on couple of films right now. Mani Rathnam's Guru which is made in Tamil and Hindi simultaneously, Shankar’s Sivaji, Rakesh Mehra's Bhairavi, a movie that has classical music in the background, Ashutosh Gowarikar's romantic period film Jodha Akbar and Sanjay Gupta's Chamki Chameli. Rahman is also working for Raj Santhoshi's London Dreams. Rahman feels that his music for Rang De Basanthi had indeed come out special.
"Rarely do you come across moviemakers who enthuse you to give your best. I enjoyed working with directors like Mani, Ram Gopal Varma and Rakesh Mehra. We do a lot of brainstorming before we work," says Rahman.
What makes a song hit?

Rahman feels that there is more to a song than melody. "It's difficult to predict which would become a hit and which would not. Trade pundits believe that slow songs don't work out. But they were wrong. The slow song in Rang De Basanthi did work out well. Earlier I had thought that people would walk out in Uyire Uyire song from Roja but then, I was wrong. A hit depends on how the director works on the song," observes Rahman.
A.R.Rahman
Is it true that Rahman mostly lives abroad?

Rahman admits that he travels a lot but then, he also confesses that he would like to spend more time at home in Chennai. Children are growing up and his heart too, is more at Chennai which gave him the break in his career.
A.R.Rahman
Does he want his children to become music directors like him?

"You can't say what they would become. But I want them to grow up in an ambience that has music. They are now undergoing training under Ghulam Mustafa Khan saab. In fact, I would like to spend a lot of time with them," says Rahman.
Does Rahman think that his songs are well-received internationally?

"I think that they like my music, especially the music in crossover films such as Deepa Mehta's trilogy Fire, Earth and Water. It was satisfying doing music for her films though most of my songs were put in the background. I know that my fans hate my doing that," says Rahman. It is not that Rahman doesn't like doing background music score. Rahman laments that the era when background music too were noticed such as Lara's theme from Dr Zhivago, is over. If he would be happy if such days came back again.
A.R.Rahman
Rahman may be slow paced when it comes to work but he thinks that it is finally the quality that matters at the end of the day. Naushad did only 47 films in his life time but what quality! "I have my own rhythm of work. And when I am in control the quality works. When I am interrupted or pressurized to work faster, quality suffers." Well, we all know what quality of music Rahman produces.

Other top stories
Bloodletting or Laughter – Take your pick! Parijatham – a big comeback for Bhagyaraj?
‘Vallavan’ Music: Yuvan has proved once again!! Selva-Dhanush-Yuvan combo rocks!
Is Shankar crippling Sivaji? Top 10 heroines of Kollywood today
Globally saleable Tamil heroes and expanding worldwide market of Tamil films!! From Rs.390 to Rs.3.5 Crores. Ajith’s journey of hardship, from nowhere to stardom!!
Sivaji - Package Vettaiyadu Villaiyadu Package

Behindwoods.com © 2004-06 ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com