Home > News Shots > World

By Vaishvedhidha | May 30, 2019 06:27 PM

On 27 March, 19-year-old Nusrat Jahan Rafi accused the headmaster Siraj Ud Doula of the madrassa she attended of calling her into his office and repeatedly touching her in an inappropriate manner. She ran out before things could go any further, reports BBC.

Bangladesh girl burnt alive for complaint on sexual harassment

Reports state that she and her family went to the police on the same day and gave a statement. It was recorded even though she was not comfortable with it and the officer recorded it and shared it online has now been charged.

The headmaster was arrested and protests were held to release him.  BBC reports that PBI chief said the headmaster Doula instructed to intimidate Nusrat's family to withdraw the complaint.

Further, it was reported that when this failed, the principal is alleged to have ordered her to be killed if necessary. PBI chief described careful planning - including the purchase of kerosene, burkas and gloves. The accused are alleged to have divided roles among themselves on 6 April, the day of the murder.

According to a statement given by Nusrat, she was lured to the roof of that building by a fellow female student. She was allegedly told that one of her friends was being beaten up.

There, PBI chief said, she was pressured to withdraw the case and asked to sign a blank piece of paper. When she refused she was gagged and bound before being doused with kerosene and burned.

In the ambulance, Nusrat, who suffered burns to 80% of her body, fearing she might not survive, recorded a statement on her brother's mobile phone and identified some of her attackers as students at the madrassa, BBC further reports.

The case sparked mass protests in Bangladesh and evoked memories of victims of sexual harassment, rape and murder who have not yet received justice. Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina pledged that every person involved in the killing would be brought to justice.

Police laid murder charges on Wednesday against the arrested 16 people. They include students at the madrassa and two local politicians from the governing Awami League party. BBC reports further state that police say that the principal has confessed in court that he ordered the murder; in total, 12 of the accused have given statements of confession. The two local politicians have not admitted any involvement.