Home > News Shots > India

By Behindwoods News Bureau | May 13, 2019 07:11 PM

In a shocking incident from Hapur district of Uttar Pradesh, a young widow allegedly set herself on fire after being allegedly repeatedly gangraped and exploited by her "keeper," reports Times Now. The victim is now battling for life with 80% burns at a hospital in Delhi.

Woman sold for 10,000 by father gangraped sets herself on fire

“We have received a complaint against at least 14 persons and a probe has been set up,” the report by TOI quoted Rajesh Kumar Bharti, station house officer of Babugarh police station. Meanwhile, Delhi Commission for Woman (DCW) Swati Maliwal has taken up the woman's case and written to UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath seeking compensation and justice for the victim, according to Times Now.

Ms Maliwal said because of the insensitive and shameful attitude of the police officials, the woman had to set herself on fire. According to the DCW chief's letter, the woman was "sold" to a man, who had taken loans from several people, in Hapur for Rs. 10,000. He forced her to work as domestic help for those people without paying her. The woman was repeatedly abused and gangraped at these places, reports NDTV.

The woman has alleged that she approached the Hapur SP and other senior officials but they did not register her complaint nor they took action against the people she had named.

Following this, she attempted suicide by immolating herself on April 28. After the DCW intervention, UP police have registered an FIR against Babugarh sarpanch and 13 others for raping the woman, but they say prima facie the case is suspicious and hence they have not arrested anyone.

Hapur SP Yashvir Singh said that whether she immolated herself or she was set on fire is under investigation, reports Daily Mail. Mr Singh denied that police officials refused to register her complaint because of which she had to attempt suicide. He also said the woman has a history of troubled marriages and she has ended her marriage twice before. She finally married a man in Moradabad and was living with him, he said.

The police official said the incidents of abuse and rape with the woman are five years old and the incidents happened at different times at different places. Police officials have talked to villagers about the woman's complaints but none of them verified her account, he said.