Tamil Movies | Trailers | Comedy | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie News | Previews | Reviews | Music Review | Packages | Rising Stars
Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

<
IPL - A summer nightmare for movie industry?
A letter from Behindwoods Visitor.
February 22, 2008

Visitor Medical Insurance

April 14th has always been the best date for releasing movies in TN, because it was an auspicious day, and more importantly it is the summer holiday season when film makers expect families to flock to theatres. Be it our Superstar or any one for that matter, everyone has tried to position their film for an Apr 14 release to maximize the probability of ensuring good revenue particularly from family audience. That may have been changed for ever by three words - I*P*L.

Kamal

IPL has conveniently scheduled the tournament from Apr 18 - Jun 1, ensuring that they take the full share of the summer vacation. Everyone will be glued to the TV sets over the summer vacation, thereby leaving the theatres empty during what has usually been the best time for theatres. I really feel sorry for the film making industry that they have to put up with the overkill of cricket at a peak time.

We are cricket crazy country and I don't think any effort can change the dates of IPL (I'm not against IPL, as it seems to put India on a bigger stage - only against the timing). I wish BCCI could be considerate and rethink the schedule for the coming years such that other entertainers get their fair share from providing summer holiday entertainment. Maybe the schedule could be starting from May18 - Jul 1, where they will still get a great viewership.

I will be watching with interest on how some of the biggies like Dasavaratham and Kuruvi are going to position their release. I hope eventually people get tired of watching an overkill of cricket and get out
to watch movies.

An avid movie fan!
Vijay

If you want to share your thoughts to our million viewers around the globe email us with your article to

News Link Will P. Vasu satisfy Rajini fans?
behindwoods.com India Search
More News
News Arrow Aishwarya Rejects one more!
News Arrow IPL - A summer nightmare for movie industry?
News Arrow Will P. Vasu satisfy Rajini fans?
News Arrow A Tamil poet at the SAARC festival
News Arrow Sandhya on Thoondil
News Arrow Hrithik – Will Jalaludin do it?
News Arrow Simbu's girl in controversial ad!
News Arrow Kuruvi @ Salem and Erode!
News Arrow Mani's next - story revealed!
News Arrow A Jodha-Akbar museum!
News Arrow Mammooty and his three heroines!
News Arrow Ayngaran International - a major Kollywood presence
News Arrow Padmapriya’s vow on glamour
News Arrow "I am not in Robot"
News Arrow Shahrukh challenging Rajinikanth?
News Arrow Shruti Hassan in Sultan?
News Arrow A.R.Murugadoss & Aamir Khan break Indian record
News Arrow Vijay’s favorite movie
News Arrow Vishnuvardhan gives the green signal
News Arrow Ameer does it again
News Arrow Director Mysskin’s driver dies
News Arrow “Malayalam films don’t require six songs”
News Arrow Dasavatharam audio release date confirmed

Everything about Tamil movies, Tamil Actors, Tamil Actresses, Tamil Cinema & Kollywood
Behindwoods.com 2004-2007 ; Privacy Policy ; Terms of Service ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com