Tamil Movies | Trailers | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

Bollywood gets the Raja touch after ages
When south India was all ears for Bollywood music and dying for hindi filmi songs in the 1970s and 80s, Ilayaraja made heads turn with his subtle ‘a class apart’ music and rendering phenomenal success to films solely with his music.
Ilayaraja
Ever since, the tables were turned and India went head over heels with Ilayaraja’s music. The rest is history.

History repeats by itself and no wonder the musical maestro is back in Bollywood after what seems to be ages with the hindi flick ‘Cheeni Kum’ produced by Sunil Manchanda and directed by R Balakrishnan (Balki). Ilayaraja’s enthusiasm is evident as the recording is progressing at Yashraj Studios.
We recently caught up with Ilayaraja for a tête-à-tête. Ilayaraja’s silence and monosyllabic answers cannot be misunderstood for rudeness or disinterest for the maestro is just trying to be modest.
Ilayaraja has scored for a whopping 840 films (his rendition is mainly in south indian films although he has scored for a few Bollywood films). His credits include composing for Adi Shankara’s ‘Meenakshi Sthothram’, Karnatic Keertanas and Varnams aptly titled ‘Raja Lahri’ and albums like ‘How to name it?’, ‘Nothing but Wind’ and the musical score for Miss World 1996 pageant. Ilayaraja made heads turn when be became the first Asian to compose Symphony No.1 with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London.
Ilayaraja
He is also the recipient of numerous national and international awards.
Ilayaraja
Upon questioning why he chose to stay away from Bollywood for so long, he says with a smile “Bollywood has no use for me”. But director Balki begs to differ.

“People in Bollywood are intimidated by his presence and assume that he will decline their offer. People in Bollywood are intimidated by his presence and assume that he will decline their offer. But I have grown up on his music, so there was no doubt in my mind that Ilaiyaraaja should score the music for my film.
In his three decade musical journey, Ilayaraja never compromised on the quality of music at the cost of technology. While keeping pace with the technology, his music is never intruded.
Ilayaraja derives inspiration from a wide range of musical forms ranging from folk, jazz, karnatik, western and classical and rock.

Do these musical forms have any impact on his music?

layaraja is quick to respond. “Composing is basically about giving form to already existing works. What may seem classical to you may be folk to me. Everyone has a different point of view.
Ilayaraja
The treatment may be different, but the soul is always the same. In my mind music cannot be judged and I have little value for such classifications,” clarifies the maestro.

Other top stories
Simply South overtakes Bollywood! Thanks to Rajini!! Dasavatharam – so far!!
Top 10 Super directors of Tamil cinema!! Parijatham – a big comeback for Bhagyaraj?
NDTV explores ‘The Rajni Factor’ Selva-Dhanush-Yuvan combo rocks!
Bloodletting or Laughter – Take your pick! Top 10 heroines of Kollywood today
Sivaji - Package Vettaiyadu Villaiyadu Package

Behindwoods.com © 2004-06 ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com