Home > News Shots > India

By Vaishvedhidha | Apr 19, 2019 03:09 PM

On Wednesday, a 3-year-old boy was brought to the hospital in Kochi. His parents claimed that he fell from the stairs. But further examination told the doctors otherwise. Soon they informed police and childline.
According to The News Minute, the police say that this is a case of alleged assault against the child by his own mother. The parents are from Bengal and Jharkhand. The father of the child is working at a construction site.

3 year old child dies after assaulted by own mother

Once the child was brought, he was evaluated by a team of doctors including a paediatric intensivist, neurosurgeons, a neurologist, and an anaesthetist. On further evaluation by a team of multidisciplinary doctors, an emergency craniectomy (a surgery that involves removing a portion of the skull to relieve pressure on the brain) was advised.

“However, the child’s father insisted on taking the child to another hospital. Despite explaining the risks associated with transporting the child, he was reluctant for the surgery. With the intervention of the police and the hospital administration, the father consented for surgery," read the medical report released by the hospital.

Even after a three-hour surgery, the child continued to be on ventilator support, it said. Kerala Health Minister has announced to bear all expenses for the treatment of the three-year-old, who continued to be in a critical condition. But unfortunately, he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at 9 AM, Friday.

The medical evaluation had revealed that the boy had several other injuries on his body, including burn marks, raising suspicion of assault against the child. The mother was arrested on Thursday evening

The boy's mother was charged under Section 307 IPC (Attempt to murder), Section 75 of Juvenile Justice Act (Punishment for cruelty to Child), sections 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 326 (Voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means). Though the father is not arrested at present, police have taken him into custody.