Tamil Movies | Trailers | Comedy | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie News | Previews | Reviews | Music Review | Packages | Rising Stars
Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

A fan's thought on Ajith's Kreedom
July 24, 2007
Kreedom

After Aalwaar, ajithfans were not worried about the script or Ajith`s inability to figure out the best. But they were thinking like

"Why he has to be Serious all the time?"
He had done romantic and energetic roles in the past which we obviously loved and celebrated.
Why can`t he do the same thing now?
Can`t he do a lovable character with enough action?
His charm and smartness itself will bring lady audience to the theatre if he acts with enough energy and romance.

So, ajithfans were only worried about the kind of *Seriousness* that was associated with him in all his recent movies. Even in Paramasivan he was serious for most of the part. Thirupathi was a slight relief since we were able to see his smile atleast. Varalaaru was yet again an intense performance oriented film that had irrelvant romance sequences. After having seen Aalwaar, Ajithfans expectations on Kireedom was mixed. With few stills that got released, many were worried whether it is going to be yet another JI. Our hope was that it is a remake of a malayaalam classic that made Mohanlal a superstar there. It also triggered a permanent fear in our hearts on how Ajith is going to perform in this movie. It is certainly not a CAKE-WALK. A slight slip is enough for crap interested minds to laugh at it.

First things First : IMO, this is one of the best performances of Ajith. He is right. If we take a list of top five movies of him then this movie will have a special place. I have the Malayalam original and have watched it many times. One of my most expected movies this year or my most expected movie of this year. A lot of satisfaction and I was satisfied more than enough. Just like all Ajith fans, I would love to congratulate Vijay like how fellow fans did in Kasi.

Kireedom portrays the emotional bondage between a son and father effectively. That is the core of the film and it has been brought well. But the nucleus of the film is: How fate or the sequence of events can change a person’s life. The primary difference is, It doesn`t go over the top in conveying that. Nothing like a son getting revenge for his problems by recovering overnight. The pillars of the movie are the father and son characters. (Rajkiran and Ajith) Kireedom is an exception from all other Ajith films in its presentation and the depth with which the director brings out natural human emotions effectively. Being a remake of a 80s movie and a movie that was ILLEGALLY COPIED in many places in Tamil cinema, the movie must have provided a lot of Deja vu feel for a normal audience if projected without care. The primary challenge for the team must have been in tackling this one and the director excels here in providing that. The scenes in Kireedom are more poetic, refreshing and instantly lovable. They look so fresh and cool that we can easily relate to the FEEL of a NORMAL SON & FATHER. When was the last time we had a movie that had a father who depicts his dream in a natural way rather than with a hugh junk of emotional equations? Or let me put it this way: When was the last time we had a father reacting like Rajkiran (excluding Rajkiran)? Be it the scene in which he cares for his son when he travels to a remote place or the way he prepares his son to accomplish his dream?

When did we have a son reacting with his face and eyes alone to portray the way with which he swallows his own relationship pain when his father expresses the same? When did we have a son who reacts to him mom in a typical way for asking food? We always had sons who injected their own pathetic cry dialogues to convey that they are acting to the world? Kireedom`s primary plus is the romance sequences. They are different and provide a feel good effect. They are more poetic in all angles. Be it the dialogues or the way it has been carried forward. The comedy is slapstick targeted at B & C centre audiences primarily. Few of them will really work for A centre audience as well though there are unwanted double meaning dialogues.

I feel that the equation "No punch dialogue + No kuthu dance + No vulgar comedy = good movie" is quite odd if we have to judge a movie because even great movies have introduced them in a subtle way with their own perverted changes to suit the audience. Every movie has its own fare share of commercial things. Even great classics have unwanted item songs. A movie with those things need not be a bad movie and a movie without these things need not be a good movie. We have lot of examples for these things. Kireedom is indeed a classic! A classic which must be cherished and loved.

The primary disadvantage of the film was Vivek, Santhaanam was lot better! Even in the minimum space provided he makes u laugh with his awesome timing. Villain was OK. In the original, Keerikaadam Jose was ruthless, powerful and aggressive. Compared to that, newcomer Ajay is just OK.

Kreedom

Rajkiran is exceptionally good in this movie. If I am not wrong, the last Ajith movie that had a wonderful portrayal of human emotions was Mugavari in which Raghuvaran exuded. Rajkiran`s performance here is many times better than what Raghuvaran did in Mugavari. Rajkiran last movie Muni had him caught under the web of "Over-acting" in few places. Be it the scene in which he cried over the loss of his daughter or the way he gets killed. Here, the director has indeed acted as an efficient speadbreaker. Rajkiran has delivered a performance without the "way too lengthy" "over the top dialogues" of a Tamil cinema father. Rajkiran Clap

I always have a belief that Ajith is one of the most natural actors in Tamil cinema who can underplay and perform well in characters that requires silent and subtle performances. Good example would be Mugavari and Kaadhal Mannan. When it comes to Romance, he exudes like anything with all energy. This is how fans enjoyed Ajith over the years and anyone with a good knowledge on how fans developed for Ajith will realise this. I enjoy Ajith in romantic movies a lot. In Kireedom I saw the Ajith whom I enjoyed over the year after a very long time... What a gap !! The movie has brought the romantic hero back! I am glad to see him winning the heart of a girl in his own style and smile.

Ajith brings a different perception to the son role. No lengthy dialogues, No over-the-top performance for important scenes, just sheer body language. That is / was / will be his primary strength in giving wonderful performance. Vaali was awesome because he was awesome with his body language. I told to my friends that his face is enough. (Not that his smartness is enough to see the movie). What i meant there was : His face depicts everything in a near natural way. Something which I loved to see or Ajithfans loved to see. Be in the scene in which he sends his father out of the bus station or the scene in which he depicts his frustration when he is sent out. Sheer acting (Awesome) This is what we call living the character.

Plus - When I watched it, I was very careful in figuring out whether by any chance he throws a feel of Mohanlal (in short copying). Ajith comes up with a stylish performance. The primary one is the way he acknowledges everything by closing his eyes and shaking his head. It may look simple but these minute things completely separate it and it is his performance.

His acting in the climax ! Thalaaaaa (Awesome) Climax belongs to him completely, what a performance? No page by page dialogues, No artificial stuffs! Just simple and awesome performance that conveys his feelings. My favorite is the scene in which he depicts his sadness to Rajkiran with just eyes and tears (remarkable)
climax is a bit ||| (not same) to Moondram pirai. U had Sridevi acting throughout and Kamal being silent. In the climax he opened up and made it a memorable film. I had the same feel when I saw Ajith`s (thala`s) performance.

His acting in the climax ! Thalaaaaa (Awesome) Climax belongs to him completely, what a performance? No page by page dialogues, No artificial stuffs! Just simple and awesome performance that conveys his feelings. My favorite is the scene in which he depicts his sadness to Rajkiran with just eyes and tears (remarkable) climax is a bit ||| (not same) to Moondram pirai. U had Sridevi acting throughout and Kamal being silent. In the climax he opened up and made it a memorable film. I had the same feel when I saw Ajith`s (thala`s) performance.

Trisha is good in this movie. Trisha was good in the screen compared to her recent Tamil films. Compared to Asin, she is miles ahead in her screen presence with Ajith. Thanks to the makeup man and cinematographer Thiru.
Kreedom

But apart from that, she has enough scenes and room for acting and she does that. Her acting towards the end looks good. Overall, different one indeed and not the one I was afraid of.

I love all the songs. This is one of those movies of Ajith in which I saw the audience sitting inside the theatre without walking out for all the songs. Kanavellam & Vizhiyil are my pick. The intro song could have been better. But again - it was different from his regular intros. He is bubbly and charming in that. A song that speaks lot of philosophies like a MGR song and I loved it a lot. G.V.Prakash is yet another important person. Though he provides a deja-vu feel, in the intro song and last song. His hardwork in the Background music department is clearly visible. In the post interval turning point sequence, his re- recording is awesome, superb and efficient. It is a sequence that makes audience to have a feel that this is going to be a different movie. When I saw the movie for the first, BGM was the primary thing that was in my mind. Awesome job Clap

Apart from GVP, next person whom I noticed in the movie was Muthu kumar and his dialogues especially in the police interview scene and the scene in which Saranya questions Ajith. His lyrics are "Yaaridamum Kutram illai, kaalam seida kutram idu" depicts the story. After Vairamuthu, I see this poet conveying the story through lyrics. Thumps up to him.

I have already given my credit to Director Vijay. Chella the director of Aalwaar will now understand how a new director should utilize his opportunity! Getting a chance is one of the most difficult things in the world. Be it a fresher in the IT field or a person who wants to leave his footprint in the Tamil cinema history. Director Vijay had done that. Is he a new director? I don’t think he is. He provides lot of Maniratnam + Priyadharshan feel in many places. A director with stuff. Thumbs Up!

My Verdict:

Ajith is like a mine for us in which we can get silver, gold and other gems. But we can get diamond rarely. Kireedom is a Diamond and it should be preserved in a Golden plate. A classic that truly deserves a place in Ajith`s top five places.
Ajith ennum Iyalbaana Nadiganukku Aetra Oru KIREEDOM. Super aaga Porundhum Oru Paathiram. KIreedom is worth a lot
Do continue to provide chance for youngsters and open the gates for many VIJAYs, S.J.Surya’s, Sarans etc. We will be proud of you.
Needless to say "I rate this better than Mugavari"

What might affect it:
Tamil Cinema audience has been already duped with enough overdose brutal sentimental comedies. So, everyone will obviously will love to shout "Yeh Dhil Maangae More" for the emotional scenes and they will expect you to roll over the floor and give atleast 5 buckets of tears. This film is certainly not for them

Additional one: Ajith proves Priyadarshan`s statement "Ajith is the Mohanlal of Tamil cinema"

By
Kumar,
mailnselva@yahoo.com

behindwoods.com India Search
News Link
Bala shifts his gaze to beggars

Everything about Tamil movies, Tamil Actors, Tamil Actresses, Tamil Cinema & Kollywood
Behindwoods.com 2004-2007 ; Privacy Policy ; Terms of Service ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com