Tamil Movies | Trailers | Comedy | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie News | Previews | Reviews | Music Review | Packages | Rising Stars
Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

Click here to see who is better in multiple roles…
Kolltwood Families
Lady Directors
Rendezvous with India's best director
By Behindwoods News Bureau.
December 24, 2007
The Chennai International Film Festival couldn't have had a more fitting finale with the closing film being that of Adoor Gopalakrishnan’s Naalu Penungal. Speaking at the valedictory function, Adoor said that he always considered Tamil Nadu his home as he started his early days with technicians in Chennai.
Adoor Gopalakrishnan
Though things have changed now, he agreed that the quality of film processing labs in Chennai is the best in the country. He also had a few words of praise for the quality of cinema that seems to be emerging from Tamil of late.

After the valedictory function we caught up with this legendary filmmaker for a brief tete-a-tete. Excerpts from the interview:

1.A briefing about your film Naalu Penungal?

As commonly perceived, it isn't four stories but four different perspectives of women narrated over different periods of time and about their travails in different situations varying from social to economic to political to more intimate affairs.
Naalu Penungal
2.Your films have a universal emotional appeal. Why do you still stick to Kerala as the setting for your stories?

Emotions are universal but it has to be narrated in a setting I am most familiar with and I am most familiar only with my hometown Kerala.
3.Reasons behind long gaps between your projects?

It has to appeal to me and only then will I go ahead and write a script on it and hence the gap.

4.Have you decided on your next project?

I intend to work on one of veteran Malayalam writer Thakazhy Sivasankara Pillai's stories much in the lines of this film but a different premise altogether.

5. Your advice for the younger generation!

I would recommend them to read a lot as that is the last thing they want to do these days. They are glued to the TV screens or the Internet which is a result of assembly line production and they do not search for information by themselves anymore but rely on Internet, which in itself is a machine with information fed in by humans and will only offer what it has within its gamut. We need to break this addiction and they have to be more sincere and committed towards their dreams.

It was an interesting and enlightening conversation with this legendary filmmaker who has won several awards including the Dada Saheb Phalke award for his contribution towards Indian cinema. He has won National Awards in various categories for 8 of his films and was conferred the Padma Vibushan recently.

News Link “Tresses don’t make a Rahman”
behindwoods.com India Search

Everything about Tamil movies, Tamil Actors, Tamil Actresses, Tamil Cinema & Kollywood
Behindwoods.com 2004-2007 ; Privacy Policy ; Terms of Service ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com