Tamil Movies | Trailers | Comedy | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie News | Previews | Reviews | Music Review | Packages | Rising Stars
Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

Click here to see who is better in multiple roles…
Kolltwood Families
Lady Directors
"Two movies that made my day"
By Venkat
December 21, 2007
Though the recent downpour that lasted for two days brought the Chennai city to a virtual standstill, it did not stop the cinephiles from gathering at the venues of CIFF. It was astonishing to note that even the nature’s fury did not dampen the spirits of these die-hard enthusiasts. Some technicians and artistes from the film industry were also present to take a look at World Cinema.
Bharathi
Tuesday (18-12-2007) was largely dominated by Indian films, which formed a part of the Indian Panorama section. The day, however, began with a fantastic film titled Memory Thief by debutant director Gil Kofman. This film is about a Holocaust survivor, played by Jerry Adler, whose past torments him and his encounter with a hapless tollbooth operator, played by Mark Webber. Lukas (Mark Webber) begins to identify with the experiences of Adler's character and they begin to identify each other’s pains and pleasures. Lukas begins to slowly realize that the guilt of a survivor isn't restricted to Jews alone and that it transcends across all barriers. The story is narrated winsomely with a lot of humor thrown in, unintentionally though. Quite unbelievable, when it was revealed that Memory Thief was the director's first film.

The next film was Veyil. Despite seeing the movie earlier, I decided to give it a shot again as I felt it was worthy of it's place at the film festival and also seeing it in the midst of World movies helps me reassess our cinema vis-à-vis the films from across the world. It was a strange experience with some enjoying it as they were seeing it for the first time; most of them being foreigners. The movie was engaging, nevertheless, in spite of the fact that I was watching it for the second time. Veyil got a standing ovation at the end and it made my day and enlivened the hope I had on Tamil cinema's renaissance.

Lastly, it was again a Tamil film titled Ammuvaaghiya Naan, but this one I hadn't seen earlier. I was a bit cynical about the reviews it received and in fact happened to miss it in the theatres. However, this was the right place to watch it, as the crowd, as is common to all film festivals, is well behaved and you don't have those cat calls and cell phones ringing. The movie, as most of you must know by now, is about a writer who yearns for a National Literary Award for his work having missed it twice narrowly in the past. He is determined to get it this time and plans a work that revolves around the life of sex worker. The rest of the story is about how he gets involved in the subject and how their lives get intertwined. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was a must watch as the movie didn't thrive on clichéd representations of the lives of sex workers. The subject of his story, Ammu, enacted impressively by actress Bharati, is one who likes what she is doing and has not even an iota of guilt. How the writer takes interest in her character and even marries her is told realistically. The movie doesn't try to make any statement making it germane to the story. Another day at the movies made memorable.

News Link Superstars: Cinema recruitment drive
behindwoods.com India Search
More News
News Arrow Bhavana prefers Mollywood
News Arrow What next Prakash Raj?
News Arrow Dhanush says ‘Anjathe’ to producers
News Arrow "Two movies that made my day"
News Arrow Superstars: Cinema recruitment drive
News Arrow Aishwarya Rai’s future plans
News Arrow M G Creations makes it to Beverly Hills Film Festival
News Arrow Vallavanukku Vallavan Dhanush
News Arrow Latest star addition to Vellithirai
News Arrow Pazhani in trouble
News Arrow Arya ready for his next project
News Arrow Prakash Raj does it for realism
News Arrow Ajith’s next with Sivaji films?
News Arrow Bala compromise for Billa
News Arrow Paruthiveeran’s 300-day prophecy comes true
News Arrow Sandhya lands a plum project with Varsham director
News Arrow A.R.Rahman’s next
News Arrow Kamal did it, Ajith did it too, will Vikram?
News Arrow Maddy Vikram combo to be a thrill ride
News Arrow CIFF weekend round up
News Arrow With Ajith, with Vijay and now with Vikram
News Arrow Evano Oruvan stirs awareness all over
News Arrow Bhoomika's latest avatar

Everything about Tamil movies, Tamil Actors, Tamil Actresses, Tamil Cinema & Kollywood
Behindwoods.com 2004-2007 ; Privacy Policy ; Terms of Service ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com