Tamil Movies | Trailers | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

How a ninth grade dropout became a celebrity!!

Gana Ulaganathan’s shoot to fame
Gana Ulaganathan
Imagine a daily wage worker in Chennai harbour shooting to fame with just one song! Gana Ulaganathan is struggling hard to cope with his celebrity status. Offers are galore and if inside reports are true, even Shankar is making efforts to rope in this guy into his next film.

However, the way up to Ulaganathan was not so easy. He made his debut in the Tamil tinsel town with the song Kummango from Machi. It was lyricist Kapilan that had introduced him. With the movie bombing miserably, the guy went unnoticed—unnoticed till Mishkin’s Chitthiram Paesudhedi
Ulaganathan, a ninth grade dropout, began his career not as a singer but as a labourer in Chennai Harbour. Following some quarrel with the management, he was sacked from there. But today, now that he is famous, they want him back there. Singing has been his hobby and he has sung more than 200 songs that include devotional songs of Lord Ayyappa.
“It is not just gana songs. I am familiar with light songs, western pop and also classical songs. I studied keyboard under Mandolin Nithya Master and Vaaipaattu from Ammapaettai Krishnamurthy,” Ulaganathan says with a shy smile.

By nature, he is a very shy person and doesn’t have the rugged looks that he wears in the Vaazha Meen song. “I was damn scared when they were shooting the scene where I come lying on a horseback. They asked me not to punch the horse on its stomach lest I should be thrown down. Immediately after the song was shot, Malavika had said that it had come out well. I didn’t believe her then,” says the singer going back to the shooting days.
Gana Ulaganathan
It was Mishkin who got the idea of casting this man for the song. He was impressed by the way Ulaganathan made gestures while recording for the song. It is the same gestures you find on screen today.
Gana Ulaganathan
Ulaganathan is mobbed whenever he is spotted in public places. People want the Vaazha Meen song to be sung again and again. Invitations are pouring in from abroad for stage performances. But the guy remains modest.

He has three movies in hand now—the Jeeva starrer Pori, Jitthan Ramesh starrer Madhurai Veeran and the Richard starrer Mrs Raghavan.
He may be familiar with light music, western pop or eastern classical but, Ulaganathan is at home only in gana songs. Says he: “It’s in gana songs you can express a spectrum of emotions. And it goes direct to heart.”

With celebrity thrust on him all of a sudden, the man is a bit floored. He can’t forget the days when he was treated shabbily by the industry, especially the day following the flop of Macchi.
Gana Ulaganathan

Behindwoods.com © 2004 - 2006; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com