PHOTOS & STILLS - GALLERY
HASSE TOH PHASSE MOVIE REVIEWRelease Date : Feb 07,2014
Cast: Adah Sharma, Manoj Joshi, Parineeti Chopra, Sharat Saxena, Siddarth Malhotra
Direction: Vinil Matthew
Screenplay: Harshavardhan Kulkarni
Story: Harshavardhan Kulkarni
Music: Vishal- Shekhar
Background score: Amar Magnrulkar
Dialogues: Anurag Kashyap, Purva Naresh, Vinil Matthew
Editing: Shwetha Venkat
Singers: Benny Dayal, Chinmayi Sripada, Nupur Pant, Sanam Puri, Shafqat Amanat Ali, Shekhar Ravijani, Shipra Goyal, Shreya Ghoshal, Sunidhi Chauhan
Lyrics: Amitabh Bhattacharya, Kumaar
Distribution: Dharma Productions
Watching Hasee toh Phasee, we felt one thing for certain – mainstream Bollywood is increasingly getting experimental even in a populist genre like rom-com. Socially inept lead woman, likeable loser of a lead man who is unsure of the relationship but sure of not breaking it up for fear of finding another girl and a whole lot of ‘this-could-have-worked’ moments, brilliant and smart casting that actually works – Hasee toh Phasee has all these and more.
Set in a wedding, essentially, Hasee toh Phasee is about a good-natured young man’s pursuit of happiness in life - establishing a career, straddling between his bride and her estranged sister and seemingly falling in love, again. The opening scene – elaborating the inventiveness of the film’s lead pair as children – works well as a preface for the story.
In many ways, Siddharth is the star of the movie. He has a genial screen presence and he is confident when he does things, making him the most bankable character of the movie. He is smart, slightly confused but unwavering about his faith in his relationship – even until after Parineeti’s Meeta explicitly asks him to marry her.
The fact that Parineeti’s weird personality is never really explored or explained (despite her rattling off things like ‘high density polymer ball that can produce electricity’) makes it hard for us to side with her character and her ostracizing from the family. It doesn’t help that she falls for Siddharth who is marrying her sister.
Her hyperactive blinking notwithstanding, Parineeti and her inexplicable pills popping of her own concoction is something of a mystery in the movie. She is a geek and a recovered addict all right but her character’s writing goes completely overboard from the geek-chick that you get to see when the film opens, and transcends into something of an uninteresting wanderer. Adah Sharma though, is fitting as a television actor, typical girlfriend material.
Manoj Joshi and Sharat Saxena provide credible performances as fathers of the leads. And the supporting cast is apt without getting too much in the way of the narrative. The sort of title song, Shake It Like Shammi, and the melodious Manchala stand out in Vishal-Shekhar’s music and Amar Mangrulkar’s non-intrusive background score is another plus.
But for its shortcomings, you have to give it to director Vinil Mathew for plotting a movie, largely without the usual Bollywood hullabaloo of soppy romance and mindless dream sequences. It is real to some extent and the earnest Siddharth and the effortlessly charming Parineeti make the movie worthwhile.
You know how the film is going to resolve as it unfolds like a ‘Classic Bollywood template romance’ but the wait for the expected happy ending is worth it. And we always tend to love our lead characters falling in love with another person, despite being in a long-term committed relationship. Running away from weddings is another act that is catching up, what with Shuddh Desi Romance last year and now Hasee Toh Phasee. That, Parineeti is the lead actress in both the movies is a nice little coincidence.
FACEBOOK COMMENTS ON HASSE TOH PHASSE REVIEW
OTHER MOVIE REVIEWS
- Satya 2 Movie Review
- Krrish 3 Movie Review
- Mickey Virus Movie Review
- Shahid Movie Review
- Boss Movie Review
- Besharam Movie Review
- Phata Poster Nikla Hero Movie Review
- The Lunchbox Movie Review
- Grand Masti Movie Review
- Zanjeer Movie Review
- Satyagraha Movie Review
- Once Upon Ay Time In Mumbai Dobaara Movie Review
- Chennai Express Movie Review
- Bhaag Milkha Bhaag Movie Review
- Lootera Movie Review
- Raanjhanaa Movie Review
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani Movie Review
- Go Goa Gone Movie Review
- Shootout At Wadala Movie Review
- Nautanki Saala Movie Review
HASSE TOH PHASSE RELATED NEWS
- Sasikumar And Anurag Kashyap To Work Together!
- Karthi And Anurag Kashyap Together - Not Happening!
- Google Google, Vangana Vanakkangana And Now It Is ....
- Ilayathalapathy Vijay And Shreya Ghoshal To Delight Fans
- Happy Birthday To The Gifted One!
- I Will Not Disclose Details Now- Aishwarya Rai
- Woo Vs Vu !
- Hong Kong Beckons Mouna Guru
- G.V. Prakash Excited About 'Ugly'
- The Nitty-gritties Of Paradesi's Deal
- Parineeti Chopra In Tamil?
- Bala's Paradesi Goes To Uncharted Territory
- Anurag Kashyap Is The Next To Endorse Bala
- Akshay Kumar Is Ready For Thuppakki!
- G.V.Prakash Gets Ugly
HASSE TOH PHASSE RELATED LINKS
- Hasse Toh Phasse Music Review
- Nanga Ellam Appave Appadi - Photos
- Satya 2 Movie Review
- Shuddh Desi Romance Movie Review
- Shuddh Desi Romance Promotion - Photos
- Lootera Success Party - Photos
- Celebs At Karan Johar Birthday Bash - Photos
- Lakme Fashion Week- Photos I II
- Director Anurag Kashyap Talks About Paradesi & Bala - Videos
- Bollywood Evening With Steven Spielberg - Photos
- Kai Po Che Movie Premier Show - Photos
- Launch Of Yash Chopra Statue - Photos
- Student Of The Year Movie Review
- Vogue 5th Anniversary Celebration - Photos
- Dreamum Wakeuppam Song - Aiyyaa - Videos