Tamil Movies | Trailers | Comedy | Slideshows | Top Ten | Interviews
Movie News | Previews | Reviews | Music Review | Packages | Rising Stars
Articles | Classic Movies | Movie Personalities | Tech&Tech | Contact Us
Behindwoods Logo

Help change Tamil Cinema
By Arun Gopinath.
December 11, 2007
Good cinema has to be supported, yes, how many times have we heard that? The one thing that is never said is who actually should support good cinema. Everyone says this, few heed this and even fewer actually do this. In the end the sufferer is good cinema, no, cinema on the whole.
Kalloori

Actors cite the lack of good scripts; directors speak much along the same lines while producers are perennially scared of putting their money on anything that is not run of the mill. Their concern is not unwarranted because if we ultimately look at things from a neutral perspective, it is the audiences who have to shoulder the large part of the blame of not supporting good cinema. Of course, all of us like good meaningful cinema that is driven by characters, situations that draw from life, but how many of us really pay to get into theaters to watch such a movie. We, catch up with such a movie when Sun TV or now Kalaignar TV buys it within a few months of release or even worse on pirated CDs. How much ever we blame top stars, directors and big banners of providing us with the same glossy low on content stuff time and again, still come Deepavali, Pongal, Christmas, New Year or any other day of the year, we choose to go into a theater showing yet another such movie and more often than not come out cursing ourselves for the misadventure. So, if we do not get good movies, we have only ourselves to blame. A saying goes, ‘once bitten, twice shy’. However we seem to be immune to the implications of the saying, straying back onto the same old path of commercial cacophony time and again. Not that commerce or commercial cinema is bad or despicable, quite far from that. Commerce drives every industry forward. The point is that the onus is upon us to make lines between commercial and meaningful blur, to make any such classification meaningless, to give the makers confidence in themes that have an identity.

There have been voices over the years that the makers of films tend to underestimate the tastes of an audience, dumb them down with stale repetitive stuff. But analysis might prove some, if not all of this wrong. Why? Look at the recent past in Tamil cinema. This year has been endowed with at least three films that stand apart in theme, treatment and performance. All three had great merits; great artistic value but not surprisingly, very average commercial results. Pallikoodam, Kattradhu Tamil and Onbathu Rupai Note, all dared to be different and while it must be said that none of them really broke down, all three just about broke even. An honest analysis and comparisons to the commercial hits of the year will tell us that these movies hardly come close in terms of revenue and we are not comparing these movies to a mammoth like Sivaji, just the other ordinary commercial hits of the year. Even on the top 10 ratings on our site, we have not been able to give anything but an average status to these films while giving a hit status to films like Malaikottai (no offence).

Evano Oruvan
No one then can blame producers for banking on other such themes. The film industry is very much keen about making good movies. How else can we explain producers putting their money on offbeat themes at least once or twice a year? That’s how we get movies like Mozhi (the only offbeat hit of the year). It is we and our over cautious approach to such movies that deters them, they know it is a big risk to have faith in an audience which is erratic. Offbeat films never get a good opening, they have to grow on word of mouth, they must not face competition from any commercial movie for at least three weeks and they must be exceptionally well made. These are the rules for the success of an offbeat film; we cannot blame a producer for thinking twice before funding such a movie or a distributor for not buying such a movie. These are not written rules, but rules created by us and our choice to seek instant gratification in a so called entertainer. There are many instances this year when really shoddy products fetched great starts at the box office and made profits with that while the good ones struggled to make the cut.
So, the answer is right there, if we want good cinema, we have to change. Our choices define who we are. We all rant about the absurdities that are served in the name of entertainment and do nothing about it. This is to realize that if anyone has the power to change it is us, the audience. Support good cinema not by big words and glorious phrases, but by going to the nearest theater screening it. Actions speak louder than words.

There is a saying. Though I am not sure who said this or whether these were the exact word he said. But the essence is this,

‘I wanted to change the world, but found that I can’t do that myself, so I decided to try and change my country but found out that this too was impossible. Next, I wanted to change the way my city was but found out that there were far too many people to change, so I decided to change my family but found that this too was not possible. Then I realized that only if I had changed for the better, my family would have made an example of me, my family would have been an example for my community, then my community for my city, my city for my nation and my nation for the world’. Change has to begin at the individual level and there cannot be a better weekend than this to begin. One of the most daringly different attempts in Tamil cinema has released, Evano Oruvan. Make it not just a safe proposition for its distributors but a big profit for anyone involved because whatever we have heard of this movie till now gives us reason to believe that it deserves it. Even Kalloori is around. Break the boundaries between commercial and offbeat, there are only two categories of cinema, good cinema and bad cinema. Support good cinema.
behindwoods.com India Search
News Link
Billa premieres around the world

Everything about Tamil movies, Tamil Actors, Tamil Actresses, Tamil Cinema & Kollywood
Behindwoods.com 2004-2007 ; Privacy Policy ; Terms of Service ; For advertising contact behindw@behindwoods.com