There are two movies out of 4 Pongal releases which I decided to watch it on first day without knowing about the feedback or reviews - KANNA LADDU THINNA ASAIYA AND SAMAR. Now I am glad that my calculations were correct and both these movies did not disappoint me even though they were not outstanding movies.
Let’s go with the quick review on both.
KANNA LADDU THINNA AASAIYA
KLTA reiterates a strong message that "Average script (or) logical loopholes can be tolerated in a comedy movie, provided if it has 100% fun”.
The major asset of this movie is our "POWER STAR" who consistently entertains us, right from his introduction scene. In an interview to a weekly magazine few months back, Power star was asked if he is trying to compete with Kamalhasan by doing a several roles in his next movie as Kamalhasan did in Dasavatharam. Power star simply replied that his only competitor is "Super star - Rajinikanth" and not any other actor. Somehow this interview came into my mind when I was watching the introduction scene of Power star since the whistles and claps for the introduction scene slightly created a mood of watching Super star movie. Power star simply shadows any other actor in the movie with his costumes, gestures, dialogue delivery etc etc. It will not be correct to say that power star has performed well; rather it is the director and Santhanam who has well understood the "Real-Image" of Power star and had correctly utilized him to make every scene a comedy festival. Power star was given with enough scenes and the good thing is that he was not given a chance to try anything serious which would have made things tedious.
Santhanam has done an excellent job with many outstanding one-liners and this movie will find place in top 5 Santhanam’s movies for his comedy. There are many scenes which will make you laugh even after coming from theatres especially the scenes where Santhanam trying to learn music and Power star trying to learn dance. The movie ends up with a powerful dialogue from Santhanam towards Power star - "Nan comedyannu enakku theriyum, aana Nee comedyannu theriyamale irukkiye" which is simply super, super, super.
On the downside, screenplay of the movie has many loose ends and can never be compared with "Indru poi Nalai Vaa". The last 20 minutes of the movie looks too dramatic. But these are only minor glitches, which can be ignored in this kind of movies.
Final verdict - Guaranteed comedy entertainer for all ages.
The movie which was released without much hype and this factor really do favor for the movie.
1) Movie has a fresh story packed with a concrete screenplay which makes the audience locked to their seats for most part of the movie. There are enough twist and turns throughout the movie and will never provide a room for the audience to get even a glimpse about suspense element. Good thriller.
2) Nowadays it’s hard to find a movie which has justification for having 2 heroines and in most cases contribution of 2nd heroine gets limited to songs and glamour. But Samar is an exception where both the characters (Trisha and Sunaina) add value to the movie and are well binded with the story.
3) Vishal finds himself comfortable and delivers what is required for an action thriller. It’s nice to see Trisha after a break and she is flawless. It’s also good that romance scenes do not disturb the pace of a thriller movie.
4) Dialogues are written by S.Rama Krishnan which adds value to the movie.
1) When the suspense element got revealed, we get a slight disappointment since it was not able to accept if such kind of people (villains) can exist? But got partially convinced since director calls them as "PSHYCO"?
2) The lengthy scenes involving two villains watching the live videos and the dialogues between them are bit irritating and looks artificial. Some other actors should have been selected for this 2 villain characters since the scenes involving them lacks nativity.
Feel-Fresh action thriller which is "Worth a watch" for the fresh story and intelligent screenplay.